When a married couple with children goes through a divorce, child support and custody are often put into place so that the child receives the best possible care. Child custody is usually split between the ex-spouses; however, if you are a grandparent, you may have the opportunity to obtain visitation rights.

There are a variety of situations in which you can petition for visitation rights. You may be able to gain visitation rights for your grandchild if their parent is deceased, missing, not married, divorced, etc. We know that as a grandparent, all you want is for your grandchild to be safe and cared for. Below are some tips on how to make the best of your time with them if you have visitation rights:

When conducting your visitation, be sure to create the most comforting environment you can for the child. If their parents have been through a recent divorce, they may be having a difficult time adjusting and need some sense of normal. Simply asking the child how their day was or how they are doing may provide comfort for them.

Always be mindful of how you speak to your grandchild. As mentioned before, this may be a tricky transition for them, so making negative comments about their parents may make them uncomfortable. Instead, be sure to focus on the positive and engage with them about school, extracurricular activities, or hobbies you both enjoy doing together.

We know how much your relationship with your grandchild means to you. If you are petitioning for grandparents’ visitation rights, Murfreesboro Family Law may be able to help. Contact us at 615-890-3656 or use our contact form to schedule a consultation.